Meng under investigation: China breaks silence on Interpol director disappearance Interpol director, Meng Hongwei, who is missing since late September, is under investigation by China’s Central Commission for Discipline Inspection, Beijing confirms.
Meng, who resides with his family in the French city of Lyon, fell of the radar after taking a trip back to China on September 29. The Chinese politician has been heading the International Criminal Police Organization since 2016.
South China Morning Post newspaper previously reported citing a source that the Interpol head was under the government investigation, claiming that he was “taken away” as soon as his plane landed in China.
The Central Commission for Discipline Inspection has that the official is being under investigation over a serious violation of an unspecified state law.
Meng’s fate has been a mystery for over a week. His wife, Grace Meng, told the journalists that her husband sent her an image of a knife to her phone before his disappearance to signal that he was in danger. The woman read a statement to the journalists in Lyon on Sunday, with her face being concealed from cameras as she said she feared for the safety of her two kids and her own.
When asked to comment on the announcement by the Chinese authorities, the French Interior Ministry said it had “no information” on any new developments regarding Meng’s fate, Reuters reported.
Besides heading Interpol for the last two years, Meng also occupies the position of Chinese Deputy Public Security Minister. The 64-year-old has vast experience in law enforcement, previously occupying top positions in the Chinese Coast Guard and in the local branch of Interpol.
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!