/ Paul Ceglia, indicted on charges of mail fraud and wire fraud, exits federal court in New York, on Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012. Ceglia, 39, pleaded not guilty to criminal charges that he faked evidence in his contract lawsuit against Facebook Inc. and its chief executive officer, Mark Zuckerberg. Peter Foley/Bloomberg via Getty Images Share this story
In a new submitted last week, federal prosecutors said that a criminal defendant accused of attempting to extort Facebook itself has now been arrested in Ecuador.
That man, Paul Ceglia, has been a since 2015. At that time, he cut off his ankle monitor and fled with his wife, kids, and dog. The American government is now trying to extradite Ceglia.
“The judge’s resolution indicates that the extradition process continues and that he is still detained,” Ceglia’s Ecuadorian lawyer Roberto Calderon told by telephone on Tuesday. “I think the process will last 45 days.”
Calderon claimed that the extradition treaty between the two countries does not cover the alleged crime that Ceglia committed—mail fraud and wire fraud related to his apparent forging of documents.
As Ars has , Ceglia claimed in a 2010 lawsuit that Mark Zuckerberg promised him half of Facebook when Zuckerberg was an 18-year-old Harvard University student. Ceglia soon sued Zuckerberg and Facebook. That lawsuit has since been dismissed.
Since 2012, Ceglia has been charged criminally with accusations that his lawsuit was a fraud. He has pleaded not guilty. The charges carry a maximum 40-year prison term.